Stop the HATE!

Recently, a lot of things have been getting under my skin. I am haunted by stories of hatred and intolerance, and general lack of humanity. I feel frustrated and powerless to do anything to improve the current social climate. There is nothing I can do to improve the quality of life for women in India. I can not force people to behave less like animals, as much as I would love that power. Words are the most powerful resource I have. Words can bring people peace or incite them to war, spread truth or keep entire nations in ignorance and my words teach my children how to think of other people and how to treat them. So my new mission in life is to use better words, to eliminate hateful words entirely and to speak to my loved ones with more kindness. I will teach my children to respect human life, to be kind and to show empathy to those around them and to be tolerant and open minded when people believe differently than they do. I can not change the world, but I can improve my little corner of it and maybe if enough people make small changes the world as a whole will improve. If enough people teach their children respect and patience, then the next generation will be better off than this one.

I am only one, But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
                                                               - Edward Everett Hale