New year resolutions (if the world doesn't end first)

It's been a busy (and kind of horrible) couple months for the world, and it's got me thinking about my life. I've been looking at my priorities, like REALLY looking and I have decided that I need to make some changes. So here are my resolutions for 2013.

#1- I'm going to be a better Mom. I adore my kids. In my opinion they are the most charming, beautiful and funny people to have ever walked this earth. I would walk through fire for them and give up every personal comfort to ensure their well being. BUT, I don't think they hear "I Love You" when I'm cursing under my breath because they just dumped soda on the floor I spent 3 hours mopping or when we are in a knock down drag out fight because someone forgot they had a book report due TODAY even though I've been reminding them all month that they needed to get it done.  So I'm going to be better.  I'm going to spend more time with them, be more involved. I'm going to not sweat the small stuff. There will be plenty of time to have a clean house when they are all off to college and don't need me anymore. I'm going to tell them how much I love them. Even when they're tired of hearing it. And I'm going to be in their business ALL the time. I want to be able to put names with faces when they are talking about BFF of the week at the dinner table.

#2- I'm going to take better care of ME. As a new mom, there isn't a lot of time for pampering and self indulgence. When the kids are tiny it's a miracle if you get a shower every day. But my kids are not tiny anymore and I have been neglecting myself too long. So, I'm going to hit the gym 5 times a week. I'm going to eat better and I'm going to indulge a little bit (I see pedicures and girls nights out in my future) because a happy woman makes a happy mom.

It's not a long list but I'm looking forward to seeing the changes in my family during the new year. When things get hard and crazy, family is what you have to hold you up and help you along. I want my kids to have the same strength that I have with my family. I want them to be just as sure as I am, that whatever happens they will never be abandoned and alone. We have the most amazing family! Generations upon generations of love and strength always there to offer help and support, and comfort in times of grief. This is my legacy to them. I probably won't ever be rich, there won't be buckets of money waiting for them to inherit. But the people in our lives are irreplaceable and valuable beyond price.

2 comments:

Kylee said...

I love these resolutions. It is very important that you make time for yourself. Honestly though, when I look at the kind of mom I want to be it's usually you. When I look at the possibility of maybe being able to stay home with my kids I wonder if I could be as good as you are. It's always great to want to be better but don't beat yourself up either, you really are a wonderful mother!!! And when you need a girls night out - you know where to find me, at least you understand that I may not have showered :P

Tracy said...

Ky. I love you. :)