4th of July

While watching the amazing fireworks last night with my family all around me, I couldn't help but try to imagine how it must have been for the people who witnessed that long night so many years ago, when freedom was finally won. I thought of the emotions those men and women must have experienced; The elation and relief when their men came back to them, the overwhelming grief when they had to gather those lost to them, the numbness that comes when after much time and struggle, you finally win the prize and it doesn't quite seem real. I am so grateful to live in a country where I am free to make choices for me and my family, where I don't have to worry about our safety or jump at every loud noise. So today I say thanks to those men and women that sacrificed so much to win this piece of ground for me, both at the very beginning and every battle since. I offer my sincere gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces, and their loved ones left behind, who sacrifice their time and effort, and sometimes their lives, so that me and the ones I love can sit together on the 4th of July and celebrate this wonderful nation that I was so blessed to be born in. My kids (and my husband, who are we kidding. Haha.) can enjoy the bursts of light and sound that come from explosives being shot high into the air, with no worry of losing their home or loved ones. We have clean water, plentiful food and indoor plumbing and when I disagree with the government, I can express my unhappiness with no fear of retribution. God bless America!

No comments: